Neumarkt - 23 Sights in One Hour

The Townhall of Neumarkt:

The town hall was built in the late Gothic period (around 1430) and
destroyed in 1945, but rebuilt in 1956/57. The town hall was extensively renovated in 1999.

 

St. George´s Fountain:

The fountain was built in remembrance of
St. George´s cemetery  chapel (15th Century), which was destroyed in 1852.

Stadtpfarrkirche St. Johannes:

Like the town hall, this church was built in the late Gothic period (1404-1434). Some remarkable features of the church are the Romanesque font (1230), the late Gothic Madonna with corona, a Baroque figure of Christ as well as  Gothic paintings (1478) in St. Mary´s Chapel. The  height of church tower measures 72 meters. The stained glass windows were destructedin 1945. Fortunately they were redesigned in 1994.

Former Jewish Synagogue, Hafnergasse 10:

It was consecrated in 1868, desecrated on November 9, 1938, and destroyed in 1945.

Unteres Tor (Lower Gate):

The gate, which was formerly known as the "Spittler" or "Nürnberger Tor" (Nuremburg Gate), was part of the  town fortification (13th century). The gate's tower was torn down in 1825, rebuilt in 1859, destroyed in 1945, and reconstructed in 1989/90. Today the regestry office and a small conference room is located there.

Schuldturm (Debtor´s Tower):

The debtors were imprisoned in the Schuldturm, which was part of the town prison. The tower was severely damaged in 1945.

Untere Kaserngasse:

This street is named after the barracks that used to be located here from 1720 onwards.  Light Bavarian cavalry regiments were stationed here from 1814 to 1909.

Säle der Residenz:

The "Krümperstallung" used to be the castle´s ballroom and then the stables, thus the name. The building was renovated from 1983 to 1986 and was transformed into a locationfor art exhibitions and other events such as concerts and conferences.

Historischer Reitstadel:

In the early 15th century the armoury was kept in here. However, the location was destroyed by a severe fire in 1520. Eventually, the "Reitstadel was rebuilt 1531-1539.  Almost 300 years later it was converted into the riding-hall of the cavalry garrison, which was stationed in the town until 1909. The "Reitstadel" has been city property since 1919 and was destroyed once again by fire in 1945. The reconstruction took place in the late 1970's and ended in 1980. Since then it has been used as an exhibition location and concert hall.

Pfalzgrafenschloß:

The "Pfalzgrafenschloß" is a Gothic castle built during the reign of Pfalzgraf Johann (1410-1443). Like the neighboring "Reitstael" it was also destroyed by the fire of 1520.  The original bulding was reconstructed by Pfalzgraf Friedrich II. 1520-1539, who had Renaissance features added to the castle.

Cavalary Fountain:

From 1648 to 1909, Neumarkt had various Bavarian cavalary garrions stationed in it's walls. Proove of this military history are the Reitstadel and the former barracks. Since 2002 a fountain has been installed on the Residenzplatz to pay tribute. It was designed my Lothar Fischer, who grew up in Neumarkt.

Hofkirche:

This church was built in the late Gothic style (around 1418). The nave was redesigned from 1701-1704 in the then fashionable Baroque style. The church has some late Gothic art treasures, which are: a marble tomb of Pfalzgraf Otto II of Mosbach (1499), a stone Madonna, and statue of St. Sebastian.

Klostertor (Monastery Gate) with Gimplturm:

This Gate was once a small doorway in the town wall leading to the Capuchin monastery. The door was eventually turned into a gate in 1858.

Christuskirche:

This Protestant church was formerly the church of the Capuchin monastery. The church was built 1674-1677 and became the Protestant town church in 1855. Over the years the church has become a popular location for concerts.

Schloßweiher (Castle Pond):

The castle pond used to be a fish pond. Later on it became the ice reservoir for the local breweries (Gans Brauerei, Glossner Bräu, and Lammsbräu). The castle pond is now a recreational area close to city park and outdoor swimming-pool.

Schloßpark (Castle Park):

In the summer time, the Schloßpark is a popular place for young and old to enjoy the sun. A fountain of King Christoph is located on the former castle entrenchment.

Brewery Museum in the Glossner-Bräu:

Neumarkt's Brewery Museum is located inthe Glossner-Bräu. The museum holds a vast collection of historical machines and tools used to brew beer as well as comparing old and new brewing techniques that have been used by 14 generations of the Glossner familiy. The museum is located in the Glossner-Keller, which is between 800-year-old foundations of the city wall. A maxiumum number of 40 people can particpate in each tour led by qualified experts.

Oberes Tor (Upper Gate):

The tower of the city's Medival fortification was broken off in 1871. The tower of the Sparkasse was built in remembrance of the former tower.

Erwin Lesch School:

The building was always intended to be a school, however, the kind of school has changed often. In 1874, when it was built, it was a vocational school. Only three years later it was turned into a "Realschule" (secondary modern), In 1947 it became a "Oberrealschule" (grammar school), named "Willibald Gluck Gymnasium" in 1965. In 1976 it became the Maximilian Kolbe Secondary School and now it is the Erwin Lesch School providing individualized instruction for children with learning disabilities.

Pulverturm (Arsenal Tower):


The Pulverturm used to be part of town fortification (13th century).


Town Museum:

The town museum was a farm that was bought by the "Kolping Familie" (Journeyman´s Society) in 1874 and converted into a journeymen´s residence in 1895. At the end of Second World War, in 1945, it was destroyed by fire like so many other historical sights in town. After intense renovation, the medival arsenal tower was gradually converted into the town museum from 1986 to1989. The town museum holds exhibitions that are of local interest, presenting Neumarkt's history as well as the development of the town's industry. Moreover, it has a unique collection of "Express" bikes.

Ludwig-Donau-Main-Kanal and canal port:

This man-made waterway, whose towpaths are used as bike and hiking paths today, was built between 1836 and 1843. Neumarkts chanel port was finished in 1843; today it is the so called Flussmeisterstelle with an automotive crane from the ninetheenth century.

LGS-Park:

In 1998 the State Garden Fair was held in Neumarkt. Therefore, the area of Neumarkt's municipal sewage plant was redesigned and made into a blossoming garden of Bavaria. A part of the former digestion tank was turned into an open air arena, which is the center of the event series "Summer in the Park" from May to June on Sundays. The old clarifier is now a water garden. The "Garden of Life" is a garden architectural highlight.

neumarkt.de
last change: 12.08.2010